Sunday, November 23, 2008

The things I've learned. . .

  • The snow here is like a spring snow in Colorado. It is wet!! The wind doesn't help anything either. If we get enough snow I am hoping to build a snowman as this type of snow is wonderful for that.
  • When you have short legs it always feels like you are running to keep up with others!
  • A bandaid is often called a plaster by my kiddos.
  • An eraser is often referred to as a rubber by some kids.
  • When your destination is the fabric store don't get on the train that comes at 12:35. It will lead you to exactly the wrong place with not very many stops in between! Don't bother to ask the ticket taker either. He will just shake his head at you and walk away! Wait the three minutes and catch the 12:38 train! You will be happier and warmer if you do! You might even find the fabric store and get the fabric you desire!
  • Dressing in layers is the key to keeping warm here!
  • The sun is rising around 7 am and setting around 4 pm. It is strange to leave school when it is pitch black!
  • I have wonderful friends and coworkers here. People who will support me in prayer and simply be my friend!
  • My students call candy, "sweets."
  • My hair does look cute short and it is easy to style! Who would have thought??!
  • Mistletoe is an actual thing! It grows high in trees and it looks like huge nests or balls. I was told that it is a fungus.
  • Chestnuts roasting on an open fire is a real thing here. I bet you thought they were just in a song as well!! I think they are a bit on the gross side but Carrie thinks they are good. Maybe a second try will be better. I don't know, we'll see!
  • This isn't something I've learned but rather remembered . . I am loved by an almighty God who cares so much for me and who supplies for all of my needs. I hope I am making him proud!

This is just a current picture of Carrie and me just to prove that we are still alive and smiling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture, great hair styles! And yes you are making God very Proud!!!!!!!!! I know He has sent you to Vienna for a reason and He will continue to provide your needs! And He is very very Proud of You!
God bless
Jen

leslie.kidd said...

Yes, your hair is very cute! So gald you like it!!
Pflaster is what bandaids are in German ... now you know yet one more German word! So glad you are here!! <3 ya