Friday, November 14, 2008

More 3rd Grade laughter. . .

So, everyday I have one student or another tell me some interesting or funny thing. I usually forget the funny stories since I do not write them down immediately. Today, however, I am posting them so I do not forget them! I hope it makes you laugh as hard as my students and I laughed!

1. Today in German class (my kid's German class) they were talking about Stephansdom (a really big Gothic looking church here in Vienna). Frau Deisenberger was telling the kids (in German) that there are statues of Jesus and the 12 Disciples around the main entrance (which is interestingly enough called the Giant's door but I'll tell you that story later). One of my students gasped and said, "The 12 Disciples made the church?" We calmly explained that no the church is over 800 years old and the Disciples were not alive when the church was being built so the Disciples did not build the church!

After this was said, this same student asked if the statues were actual photographs. We said no and then another student piped up and said, "Of course they are not photos! They didn't have batteries back then so they couldn't take a picture!" I laughed pretty hard at this and then told him that he's right they could not take a picture but only because they didn't have cameras back then either! He said, "Oh" and then laughed pretty hard!

2. Sometimes I pretend that I have forgotten how to do something solely for the purpose of making my students completely explain how to do it. Today I did that with adding and subtracting four digit numbers. One of my students was explaining to me that I needed to carry the one to the tens column and I asked why I had to do this. We had been working on this one problem for a while since we all were laughing about how hard it was to completely explain (it didn't help that I was being completely silly!). Another student decided to answer this question. He said (very seriously), "Miss Brunker, you have to do it because it makes you beautiful!" He wasn't joking but he wasn't paying attention either! We laughed pretty hard and then finished the problem.

It was a fun day in third grade! You'll have to come visit us sometime and experience it for yourself! I love how much we laugh together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beauty tips!

Jen